This year is exciting for many reasons: 250th anniversary of the publication of the Britannica, 50th Anniversary of Mister Rogers, the 23rd Winter Olympics (yay, Curling!), and the 10th anniversary of The Rucks Group! Considering that the firm was started in 2008 just months before the economy went off a cliff, that’s the milestone I am particularly excited!
While starting a business during a recession is faced with imaginable challenges, there are also some benefits. One of benefit is that it forced us to focus on certain principles. A few years ago, I articulated these principles and they are more and more reflected in our hiring, reviewing, and processes and have evolved into our core values:
* Contribute to a fun and productive environment
* Bring value to the client
* Provide academic excellence at business level speed
* Grow individually and collectively
I believe that the more we focus and reflect these values, the more successful we are. How are we operationalizing these core values (spoken like an evaluator)? Or phrased differently, how do you see our core values in practice? Here are just a few examples:
1. Twice a year, we set a full day aside to reflect on the question: What are we doing well and where can we improve?
2. Throughout the year we participate in frequent lunch ‘n learns to develop our skills covering client management, data visualization, evaluative best practices, R, reporting, and time management topics.
3. We completed an extensive undertaking to outline our processes to ensure consistency of quality and timely completion of deliverables as we continue to grow.
4. We don’t let you forget about us. We reach out to you and have processes in place to serve as reminders for deliverable if we haven’t spoken to you at least once a month.
5. We continue to strive to reduce the stress and anxiety around gathering evidence of outcomes for our clients.
And we continue to identify ways that we can get better at what we do. Because at the end of the day, our job is to make our clients’ lives a little bit easier.
Thank you to our clients who have allowed us to partner with them on a vast array of projects! We look forward to another 10 years!